If you would like to find out more about this course, or discuss running this in-house then please click the Enquire button.
This is part of the Rolls-Royce collaborative journey to drive out non-conformance, the journey to zero defects. Companies who should attend this course will be contacted by Rolls-Royce to request their involvement.
The course objective is to reduce unnecessary concession requests arising from using inappropriate component measurement techniques. This course will also demonstrate the potential for a reduced inspection workload and improvement in operational effectiveness.
The course will use live examples of best measurement practise. The course is divided into four sessions, combining a mixture of theory, worked examples and workshops.
Delegates are invited to bring a part from your current Rolls-Royce portfolio as an example to consider. You will not be compelled to share information on your part with the other supplier delegates in the course.
Feedback from previous sessions included the following;
- "We have a better understanding of the requirements and opportunity to apply reduced and sample inspection to our business”
- "Mechanism to make the changes our business needs”
- “Will reduce the queue and backlog in our inspection cell”
- “Not all class room theory, really good practical hands on experience to make real improvement”
Who Should Attend:
Quality Manager, Lead Programmer, Measurement Manager, Engineering Manager, Manufacturing Engineering
Session 1 - Measurement Overview
- What is Measurement System Analysis (MSA)?
- Why do we need MSA?
- Consequences of poor measurement
- When to conduct MSA?
- Things to consider
- Rolls-Royce AS13003 MSA requirements
- Managing suspect results
- MSA read across
- Future challenges
Session 2 - Inspection Planning
- What is an inspection plan?
- Why do we complete inspection planning?
- Consequences of incorrect inspection planning
- Which standards apply?
- Steps to implement inspection planning
- How to complete a characteristics matrix
- Rolls-Royce Gauge guide
- Inspection planning device selection decision flow chart
Homework Activity between session 2 and 3 Inspection planning device selection activity Installations complex fabrications CMM programming video
- Edge point measurement
- Plane creation
- Circle element measurement
- Plain diameters and holes
- Hole measurement direction and start point
- Tapped holes
- Length measurement
- Chamfers and cones
- Wall thickness
- Radii and partial arcs
Session 4 - Reduced and sample inspection
- Inspection journey
- Top level strategy
- Steps to identify opportunities for improvement
- Requirement for improvement
- Basis for approval
- Review of current state
- Product functional requirements and risks
- Feature categorisation
- Agree verification method
- Document verification method
- Process steps
- Measurement control plan
- Which standard applies?
- Correct path for the part
- Formed features
- Reduced inspection
- Sample inspection
- Residual inspection
- Authorisation process
- Further information
Benefits and Learning Objectives:
Understand MSA and Rolls-Royce requirement. Understand how to make an inspection plan and what needs to be considered. Understand how to identify and prioritise opportunities in inspection improvement including Measurement Optimisation, Reduced inspection, Sample Inspection and Residual Inspection. Understand the fundamentals of using CMM for the measurement of complex fabrications.
Course Booking Details:
|Date & Time||Company||Venue||Cost||Availability||Take Action|
16/02/2021 - 18/02/2021
08:00 - 12:00
|SMMT Industry Forum||Virtual (US Central time)||£480||Spaces Available||Book|
If you are booking an instructor led class and the venue states ‘Virtual’ then please see the technical requirements below. Please note that this technical requirements below does not apply to eLearning courses :
Virtual Class Technical Requirements
To access a virtual class you must have the following:
- A PC or laptop with good (1Mbps or more) internet access
- A microphone and speaker or headset (recommended)
- Webcam (preferably)
- A Chrome web browser
- Ability to access Google drive (you do not need a personal account but your laptop / PC must not block access
- +44 (0)121 717 6600