If you would like to find out more about this course, or discuss running this in-house then please click the Enquire button.
Product safety is an increasingly high priority for the automotive supply chain, and rightly so:recent years have seen a string of global product safety crises in the industry. Car-makers and their suppliers are the subject of media and regulatory scrutiny like never before, and the trail of recalls, regulatory investigation sand litigation speaks for itself: despite significant advancements in quality management standards and techniques, automotive businesses continue to stumble into crises as a result of design and manufacturing errors, poor communication/document management or inadequate crisis planning.
As part of its ongoing work to position the UK automotive sector as a leader in product safety and quality management, the SMMT QMD has teamed up with product liability expert sat leading global law firm Eversheds Sutherland to provide a series of sessions helping UK automotive businesses to understand their legal responsibilities and liabilities and to improve their systems so as to minimise the risk of product safety crises and respond better when they occur.
The Product Liability Programme consists of the following modules:
- Introduction to IATF Standards and Product Liability
- Mitigating Liability risk through quality design, manufacturing and customer communications
- Preparing for and responding to product safety crises
This first module is an interactive one day session aimed senior management and lead engineering/quality staff, explaining the rationale and purpose of IATF16949:2016. The session will demonstrate using practical examples and real life scenarios that by compliance the letter and spirit of the IATF framework,businesses in the automotive sector can help to reduce the risk of product safety incidents and limit their exposure.
Who Should Attend:
Senior management and lead engineering/quality staff, or anyone in the automotive supply chain who is concerned with improving the ability of their business to reduce the risk of safety crises and respond more effectively when they occur.
Benefits and Learning Objectives:
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand how your business can be liable in the event of a product safety crisis
- Understand the role that effective implementation of quality frameworks such as IATF16949:2016 can play in mitigating product liability risk.
- Identify and prioritise key steps you can take to help manage the risk in your business
- Outline of IATF 16949:2016
- Why does is product liability important
- Principles of automotive product liability law‘War stories’ from the litigation front line
- General principles governing recovery of losses and additional cost from suppliers
- The impact of quality/safety issues on the supply chain
- Key elements of quality management and how they can impact on your legal exposure to:
- Identification of product safety requirements
- The importance of effective FMEA/risk identification processes
- Information flows and their role in ensuring swift & effective responses, as well as feedback loops/lessons learned
- Document retention Managing risk through the contract
- Effective management of communications and document creation
- Crisis management
Upon completion of the course you will receive an Industry Forum certificate of attendance.
Why Choose SMMT QMD:
In order to strengthen the services we provide to the UK’s automotive quality management specialists and further underpin the competitiveness of UK manufacturers, SMMT Industry Forum has created SMMT QMD, its new Quality Management Division.
SMMT QMD was launched at the inaugural Automotive Quality Management Systems Conference in Birmingham in November 2018 and aims to ensure that the UK automotive industry plays an active role in the development and governance of national and international automotive standards.
SMMT QMD will provide a community of practice to directly support UK quality professionals, ensuring standards are effectively implemented and improving competitive performance. As such, SMMT QMD will now provide the following services:An industry association for quality managersTraining, professional development and resourcesPublicationsPractical help and support
Course Booking Details:
|Date & Time||Company||Venue||Cost||Availability||Take Action|
10/12/2019 - 10/12/2019
08:30 - 16:30
|SMMT Industry Forum||
- +44 (0)121 717 6600