SMMT Oversight was established by IATF in 1999 as one of the five (UK, USA, France, Germany, Italy) global oversight offices to administer the IATF ISO/TS16949 Certification scheme.
The Oversight offices were established to:
- Conduct office assessments and witness audits of the certification body
- Provide interpretations and guidance through the issuing of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Manage the IATF database to ensure timeliness and accuracy
- Monitor certification body activities
- Qualify 3rd party certification body auditors
- Handle the application of new Certification Bodies